Thursday, December 25

Christmas Day Post

Carrick's first Christmas! Well, he has recovered from his latest illness; it was a little sinus infection he got after his surgery. Also, we are finally starting to wean him off of his oxygen! This is exciting for Will and I because we are one step closer to having a "normal" baby. One that can go anywhere without a cord! When he is officially off his oxygen I am going to celebrate by just walking him around the house- wherever we want to go. Or maybe I'll just dance in circles with him. He has really been enjoying his first Christmas. Before we came up to Nashville to celebrate with the Turners, we had our small family Christmas at home. Carrick opened his first present. Will got him to grab hold of a little piece of wrapping paper and then turned the present around and around until all the paper came off. He spent Christmas Eve at the Turner farm with about seventy Turners and he was a big celebrity. He was passed around and talked to and everyone did their best to make him smile. No one had to work too hard since Carrick loves to smile at anyone who pays attention to him right now. He loves attention. Of course, towards the end of the night Christmas started to be a little too much for him (he slept hard last night), but he had a really wonderful time. Carrick love love loves his Great Pa. That's Will's granddad. Pa held him and laughed, saying "ho ho ho, ha ha ha", a lot and Carrick thought it was hilarious. It's the only time I've ever seen Carrick laugh really hard when you're not kissing his stomach. I got lots of pictures with aunts and uncles and grandparents and cousins. But I didn't get a picture of him in his Christmas sweater! I fussed about that sweater so much and he only wore it for an hour before he got hot and we took it off. Which was timely since he spit up all over himself thirty minutes later. Luckily, Will was smart enough to suggest bringing two extra outfits. Today, Carrick is having some quality time with Grammy and Grandaddy. He loves his Turner granparents and they love him. Uncle Rob, Aunt Becca, Uncle Kyle and Aunt Sarah also spent a lot of time with him, so it was a truly wonderful Christmas. Next week Carrick and I will head to Memphis to spend some time with Grandma and Grandpa Carrick and Uncle Jordan. God has really been good to us this year, considering how early Carrick was born and that the doctors only gave him a forty to fifty percent chance. Yesterday was his eight month birthday. I commented to Will yesterday evening how amazing it was that eight months ago at about that time of day we had just finished talking to the doctor after Carrick was born. He showed us Carrick's first picture. His eyes were still fused shut, he had a breathing tube in his mouth and you could fit him in one hand. But for the wisdom, mercy and love of God he would not be with us this Christmas. Of course, some might question how we could think God any of those things since Will and I also firmly believe it was God's design all along to bring Carrick (and the rest of us) down this path. But I know God. I know that in everything He works with perfect wisdom. God is forever doing things we can't comprehend until His purpose has been accomplished and then you look back and say, "Of course, it had to be that way." Look at the way Jesus came into the world. God is God all the time. He also accomplishes the impossible. A speaker Will and really like, Mike Wells, says, "God accomplishes everything with nothing." And He does. He has really provided for Will and me and Carrick this year. He continues to provide for us and we are so grateful. We are also grateful for everyone who has prayed and helped us this year. You are all blessings and God has used you to provide. Thank you so much. Merry Christmas!

2 comments:

Lyn said...

What a great Christmas present for you, and what a great Christmas message from you!

Rachel said...

I love the new pictures! He is SO big! Can't wait to see y'all again...probably a couple of days before our own son is born! Glad you had a great Christmas. We love you three!