Sunday, May 11

This one is from Jenni again- being that it's Mother's Day and all. People have been asking me how it feels to be a mom. My honest reply would be, "how am I supposed to know?" I'm not sure what people really mean when they talk about feeling like a mother. I have a son, but other than visiting him at the hospital and talking to him so he knows I'm there, I don't do much. Most of the job is done by nurses and doctors. I don't feed him, the nurses do. I don't make sure he's warm and comfortable, the nurses do. I don't make sure he's healthy and safe, the nurses and doctors do. If he's upset about something it's the nurses who take care of it. I don't mean to undermine our role as parents in his growth and recovery; I know how important it is to let Carrick know that we are there. And I don't feel jealous of the nurses in any way. I'm really grateful they are taking such good care of him. But it is incredibly difficult not to be able to do regular "mother" things. I can't express how painful it is. It's not without it's joys, though, however bittersweet. Every time he moves or opens his eyes it is the biggest deal to me and Will. Today there was a mother's day card taped to his box. Carrick's little hand print was on the front in between some flowers someone drew! It was so small! It's his first mother's day card! Today, the doctor said the infection in his blood is practically gone and he never even showed any physical signs he was infected which is good. His blood pressure has still been up and down because the PDA vessel opened back up. The echo showed that it only opened up a tiny bit so the cardiologist doesn't think he will need any medicine. It should close again on its own without any intervention. This is also good. He's still on about 50% oxygen, but that level has been up and down as well. Mostly down. The doctor did say that he seemed to be showing signs of disliking the oscillating ventilator which means he may be saying it's time to move back to the regular one. Still more good news. If he's actually telling the doctors it's time to move forward, that is a huge deal. His lungs are still the same but we expect it to be awhile before it heals. Most of what the doctors are doing is not necessarily to "fix" him but to buy him more time to grow and mature. Only he can do that. The doctors can't do it for him. Will and I really are thankful and amazed at how many people tell us they are praying for him and having entire churches pray for him. I can't explain what that means to me. By the way, Carrick did get his mom a great mother's day present! A beautiful heart necklace with diamonds! Already he has good taste.

5 comments:

becca said...

Carrick is the most precious little boy! We are so proud of you, Will and Jenni! It is very evident that God is working a miracle. We are continuing to pray...

Lots of hugs and kisses :)
Uncle Rob and Aunt Becca

Anonymous said...

That Carrick knows how to reach a Mother's heart.
we are pleased that things are looking better for him and continue to pray for him along with a multitude of people in Nashville and around the world.

Much love to Will, Jenni and Carrick.

Pa

Anonymous said...

Speaking from someone who had the same feelings for my little girl who was hospitalized... this is the truth.
The only voice your son knows is yours, and Will's. Remember this... talk to him often. He knows you are there! The nurses don't have your voice... and I believe deep down inside that my daughter knew that she needed more care than what I could give her. she knew how sick she was. Her daddy and I were there EVERYDAY reading to her and talking her ear off!! You are doing great ... just remember he knows YOUR voice!! Keep your chin up honey... it's a tough road but my girlfriend's baby was born at 30 weeks and is home and happy! It was a scary road for her too. We are still praying for you - just pray on bended knee because God is good and he is right there with you guys. I know I don't know you but I feel your pain!!! xoxo
Karen Tragle from Michigan

Anonymous said...

Jenni & Will:

Our whole church prayed for you and Carrick this morning. It is touching to see how many people are concerned about the progress Carrick is making. What a wonderful gift you received from Carrick, first the card and then the necklace. I am very glad to hear that he is improving. He is such a fighter! God has a special plan for him and the both of you!

We love you all so much.

Mom and Dad Carrick

Anonymous said...

Jenni and Will,

Carrick seems like he is hanging in there...he's so handsome! God is working in Carrick and in both of your hearts. It's hard to see him and not be able to hold him but you just keep doing the best you can for as long as you can and it will be okay. Just think about it this way- the nurses and doctors only have a short time to be with Carrick and you guys have forever!!! they just want to get as much love as they can. I'm continuing to pray...I love ya! and miss you guys so much!

-ashley ruff